Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Utilizing the Learning Theories:Questions to Ask Myself

Trying to comprehend the learning theories is complex enough, but thinking about utilizing Developmental, Social, and Constructivist Learning Theories takes understanding the learning theories to a whole new level. I'm really starting to like the fact that Professor Kruse has been having us write blogs about how we would implement the learning theories into our lesson plans and teaching strategies. We can sit in class and discuss the learning theories for as long as we want but to be able to fully understand them it is important that we practice them (for a more concrete example)

To ensure that I am using the learning theories in my teaching I would ask myself the following questions:

Developmental Learning Theory
  • Have I shown them the best example I can find of the topic I am teaching?
  • Could my example get anymore concrete?
  • Am I moving up the concrete to abstract continum?
  • Once I have reached the abstract side of the continum am I going back down it as necessary to ensure my students are learning to the best of their abilities?
  • Have I taught the material enough to allow the students to be familiar with it?
  • Am I assessing my students in a way that will allow them to understand the concepts taught to the fullest of their ability?
Social Learning Theory
  • Do I have plenty of group/partner activities or discussions planned throughout the section?
  • Have I found the classes approximate Zone of Proximal Development and am I teaching within the majority of the classes ZPD?
  • Am I teaching and assigning articles/reading that the students are able to fully comprehend? (I really wish professors would think more about the language used in the articles they assign, I never understand them! Just throwing it out there)
  • If I feel that one of my students is struggling can/did I use a more knowledgeable peer to try to bridge the gap for the other student between concrete and abstract?
Constructivist Learning Theory
(I don't understand this one as well, so bare with me, and feel free to share your opinions!)
  • What are my students current schemas coming into my class?
  • How can I best break down my student's previous schemas and enforce the correct ones?
  • Can I use other students to help me change their classmates schemas?

1 comment:

  1. I liked how you broke up each learning theory in order to address your questions. As far as SLT and your questions, I wonder if it's best to estimate the classes ZPD and teach at that rather than finds ways to incorporate each students ZPD into a particular lesson plan by having different activities for students at different places? Besides that though, I feel you did a good job of addressing the questions that are beneficial to correctly using all three of the theories in lesson planning/teaching strategies.

    ReplyDelete