Saturday, September 25, 2010

Class Critique

When it comes to the way Professor Kruse runs class I can't say that I really have any complaints (and I'm not just saying that because I know he will read this). I like the way that Professor Kruse introduces us to new topics without always specifying that we are moving on to a new topic. I feel that sometimes when a teacher starts off a lesson with "And now we're moving on to...." it leads to the students feeling anxious about the new material and can hinder their learning because they are so worried about not missing out on important information. Professor Kruse, however, let's us decide as students what is important out of his lectures.
Sometimes I can feel a little overwhelmed in class but I think that is simply because the way Education 107 is run is so much different than anything I am used to. I am being required to change my schema because this way of teaching conflicts with my previous schemas about class and teaching.
I am also not sure about the not being graded system, but this is also probably only because once again it is requiring me to change my schema and previous idea about the concept of a grade. This way of being assessed requires that we actually learn the material instead of simply being able to regurgitate it on the test or "BSing" our way through 10-page paper.
I think that by the end of this class I will be more accepting of this new way of teaching and I will be able to go into other classes that I may have with Professor Kruse with a more open mind. I definitely know that I am learning a lot more than I do in normal classes because of the fact that we are asked to actually understand the material, not just learn it.

No comments:

Post a Comment